I recently found out that probably half of the Windows Phone 7 users have not updated their phones to Mango yet. Being a techie this baffles me. But for the end user I suppose it could be understandable. The iPhone you always needed iTunes to update your phone and with Windows Phone 7 you need Zune. The difference is when you buy and iPhone you need iTunes to even use the thing at all so users are much more aware that the phone relies on iTunes. I am not sure if you still need iTunes with iOS 5 but historically you have.
Windows Phone 7 Updates
Windows Phone 7 (WP7) has been out for a little over a year and has had 2 updates pushed out. The first update was NoDo and was pushed out almost a year ago. The most recent was pushed out just last fall and was nicknamed Mango. A lot of users probably have no idea how to update because they are not familiar with the Zune software.
Zune is to WP7 as iTunes is to iPhone.
Just like you have always needed iTunes to sync music, pictures, video, and do phone updates for your iPhone, you need Zune to take full advantage of WP7. I am just going to list out quick basic steps for those of you that might be running an outdated version of WP7 because the most recent update for WP7 made the device 10 fold better. The Mango update easily put WP7 on par with IOS and Android and in some aspects much better. WP7 is still less developed than the two big names because it is much younger, but it is quickly approaching.
Update Your Windows Phone 7 Device
Whether you have the Samsung Focus, Focus S, Focus Flash, HTC Titan, Radar, Dell Venue Pro, or any other WP7 device this will all be the same process.
- Download and install Zune if you haven’t already
- Plug the USB cord from your phone to your computer
- Zune should start automatically but if not then locate and start it
- Go through the setup wizard that Zune presents to you (it will ask you to name your device and you can name it whatever you want). *You may have previously setup your device
- Zune should prompt you that you have an update. If not then try unplugging the USB and plugging it back in. If that does not work restart your computer
- You will have to accept terms and just click “next” through the update process. Depending on your which update, computer speed, network speed, and phone the update could take 30-45 minutes, maybe less
- Lastly, Zune should tell you that the update was successful with a “finish” button
Images of WP7 Update Process
NOTE: If you have never updated your Windows Phone 7 device you might have to do this process more than once to make sure that you have all of the updates. This should only apply to people that bought very early WP7 devices. Windows Phone 7 Mango is a must have update. Any questions/comments or help needed just respond below.